Thursday, April 14, 2011

Light & Luscious Whole Wheat Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

As much as we're all hoping for spring around these parts it's been rather elusive.  While my area just experienced rain & hail today, communities only a half hour from here got snow! 

Thus, it was a good day to bake.  And while I had visions of fluffy lemon meringue pie, or coconut lemon bars in mind when I bought a bag of lemons last week, I decided that muffins would be a better match for the weather.
I found a promising sounding recipe at GreenLiteBites and gave it a go.

I know a lot of whole wheat muffins can turn out rather dense and unforgiving.  This one is not!  You will really forget that it is made entirely with whole wheat flour if you follow the recipe, and don't overstir your batter.  I had to make a few slight changes to the recipe because of what I had on hand - here's my version.

Light and Luscious Whole Wheat Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
  • 3 cups (150g) of whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1 squeezed lemon
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 3 tbsp poppy seeds
  • non-stick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Mix together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside
In a medium bowl add the eggs, yogurt, honey, applesauce and lemon juice and zest. Whisk until well blended and a bit “frothy”. Mix in the poppy seeds.
Mix the sifted flour with the egg/poppy mixture until just moistened. Don’t over mix!
Distribute the batter in regular sized muffin tin cups sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 18 minutes.  Makes about 20 muffins.

I also made a lemon glaze to up the lemon ante a bit - I simply squeezed another lemon into 2/3 cup icing sugar, a tsp of lemon zest, added a touch of water to thin it out and drizzled over the freshly baked muffins.


YUM!  There's no oil, no butter and they are SO soft & moist just from the yogurt & applesauce.  A suitable substitute for a luscious lemony dessert on a cold and rainy day....

No comments:

Post a Comment