Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Have You Squashed Your Spaghetti Lately?

Spaghetti is one of a mom's best friends.  It ranks right up there with the banana as one of the easiest, most like-able foods by the pickiest of kids.  And you can hide stuff in it.  Very sneakily.  Stuff like veggies.  (Shhhhhhh!)  For a long time I have added all sorts of things to my basic tomato sauce like finely grated carrots, zucchini, peppers, and even purred pumpkin.  Throw in a lot of garlic, and they'll never know.  My kids have gotten so used to my amped up sauce that I don't need to grate the veggies so fine.

But here's a way to kick up the veggie quotient a notch.  Spaghetti squash!

Nothing "Ewwwww...squash!" looking about that, now, is there?

I won't post my recipe, (since I don't follow one!), but the lovely Simple Daily Recipes will show how to cook the squash.  It's as easy as boiling a pot of noodles.  I promise.  So next time you have spaghetti noodles on your grocery list, why not pass on the pasta & head for the produce section!  Let me know what your family thinks.

P.S.  We enjoyed the seeds roasted with a bit of olive oil & sea salt for a snack later in the evening.
Don't waste those awesome seeds!  I didn't follow a recipe, but you can look at this one here if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment