Thursday, February 10, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken, Brown Rice, & Veggie Soup - Swimming Lesson Night Supper Salvation

I was able to get all three of my girls into swimming lessons on the same night, around the same time.  Miracle! However, that means we are at the pool from around 4:15 PM - 6:00 PM.  And if you've got kids in swimming lessons you know that they will be STARVING and needing food asap.  To avoid the, "Let's just hit the drive-through", I use my slow-cooker on those nights.   My friend, Lisa, shares how to feed a family a healthy diet on a tight budget, on her blog, Cardinal View.  It's all about using what you have!
Since I had a chicken stock & leftover meat from our roast chicken supper on Tuesday night,  I planned ahead what to make.

On tonight's menu:


Chicken, Brown Rice, & Veggie Soup
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups leftover chicken pieces
1/2 onion, diced
2 large carrots, cut into coins
1 celery stalk, diced
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup uncooked brown rice

Mix everything together in crock pot, heat on low about 8 hours or until rice is cooked.

Really, there is no real recipe for soup.  Use what you have - toss it in & heat it up!


Feed starving, chlorinated children, and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I have all of the above so thanks for tonight's supper menu!
    Donna Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not Donna, but I tried the recipe. 8 hours on low heat is way too much. I suggest 6 hours, maybe 5. Or say that you have to watch the crock-pot like a hawk (which really ruins the crock-potting, hands off, experience). I came back 7.5 after start. I, nervously, put the rice in 2.5 hours post start, then went to sleep. I woke up in the morning and had a giant crock pot full of paste. My first homemade chicken stock too. Sigh. It's edible, I'll try it again, I've got a 25lb bag of brown rice to use (what was I thinking, the apocalypse?). Dried rosemary..., ehhh, not so good. Fresh rosemary would be better.

    ReplyDelete